The other day my lovely wife Elaine mentioned two very important things. First, it was my night to cook (we generally each cook every other night) and second, we had a lot of sweet peppers that weren’t going to last much longer. Obviously the gauntlet had been dropped. Well anyhow the challenge was there to be taken.
This came out so well that I have to share it. The amounts are for a one dish meal for two so adjust as needed.
- Chop a small onion and one pound of any sweet pepper except green and braise gently about 20 minutes in 2 TBS olive until well cooked and slightly browned.
- Start bringing enough water to a boil to cook 8 oz fettuccine
- Add 3 TBS pesto, 1/4 cup Kalamata olives (roughly chopped), 1/8 cup capers, 2 cloves garlic sliced thin, 1 tsp black pepper, and 1/4 cup water to the pepper/onion mixture, stir and cook gently. You will want it to mostly dry out before you toss it with the pasta.
- Cook the fettuccine. and grate some parmesan.
- Toss cooked fettuccine with sauce and serve in soup bowls garnish with lots of parmesan.
Note: If you do not have any pesto laying around 1 TBS dry basil and some chopped walnuts or chopped pine nuts will work just as well.
Good food does not have to cost a fortune and food that is good for you can be mighty tasty with minimal effort.